Sunday, November 2, 2014

[Sirens songs]

11.9 "Idolores"
11.226 "— O, Idolores, queen of the eastern seas"
11.379 "Idolores. The eastern seas"
11.383-84 "Fair one of Egypt... Look to the west... For me"
11.518 "Idolores, a queen, Dolores"
11.734 "Dolores shedolores"
11.1132 "Dolor! O, he dolores!"

 'Florodora' sung by Frank as he parts from his lover in the Philippines, heading back to England: (the green highlighted section is echoed various places in the text)

There is a garden fair
Set in an Eastern sea,
There is a maid keeping her tryst with me
In the shade of the palm,
With a lover's delight,
Where 'tis ever the golden day,
Or a silvery night;
How can I leave her alone in this dream of sweet Arcadia--
How can I part from her for lands away?
In this valley of Eden,
Fairest isle of the sea,
Oh, my beloved, bid me to stay
In this fair land of Eden,
Bid me beloved to stay.

There is an island fair,
Girt by a Western sea;
Dearest, 'tis there
One day thou'lt go with me.
'Neath the glorious moon
Hand in hand we will roam,
Hear the nightingale song of June,
In the dear Land of Home!
There, dearest heart, will the past but seem an idle vision
Nought but a dream that fadeth fast away,
And the songs we were singing, in Elysian vales
Seem but a carol of yesterday.
Happy songs we were singing,
Songs of a bygone day.

Oh my Dolores Queen of the Eastern sea!
Fair one of Eden, look to the West for me!
My star will be shining, love, when you're in the moonlight calm,
So be waiting for me by the Eastern sea in the shade of the shelt'ring palm.


 music by
Leslie Stuart, book by Owen Hall, lyrics by E. Boyd-Jones and Paul Rubens. The opera takes place on a South Sea island that produces Floradora, a world-famous perfume. Idolores, the
beautiful and flirtatious heroine, is being pursued (and spoiled) by a host of men, including the nasty villain, but her eventual salvation is ensured when she falls in love with Frank Abercoed (surprisingly enough, a lord in disguise). At the end of Act I they pledge their love, even though they have to part, and Abercoed sings
"The Shade of the Palm." Refrain: "Oh Idolores, queen of the eastern sea, I Fair one of Eden look to the West for me, I My star will be shining, love, I When you're in the moonlight calm, I So be waiting for me by the Eastern sea, I In the shade of the sheltering palm."


11.6 "Blew, Blue bloom is on the"

11.230 "Blue Bloom is on the rye."
11.390 "rye bloom"
11.1126-27 "O'er ryehigh blue. Bloom"

My pretty Jane, my pretty Jane!
Ah! never, never look so shy,
But meet me, meet me in the ev'ning,
When the bloom is on the rye.
The Spring is waning fast, my love,
The corn is in the ear,
The summer nights are coming, love,
The moon shines bright and clear;
Then pretty Jane, my dearest Jane,
Ah! never look so shy,
But meet me, meet me in the ev'ning,
When the bloom is on the rye.

But name the day, the wedding day,
And I will buy the ring,
The lads and maids in favors white,
And village bells shall ring.


11.13 "Decoy. Soft word. But
look: the bright stars fade. Notes chirping
answer"
11.14  "O rose! Castile. The mom
is breaking"
11.18 "Sweetheart, goodbye"

11.320-425 "The bright stars fade... the morn is breaking...  The dewdrops pearl.... And I from thee... To Flora's lips did hie... I could not leave thee... Sweetheart, goodbye!"

11.1109 "The bright stars fade... The morn"
 11.1109 "O rose! Castile"
11.1271 "last rose of summer...rose of Castile"

from 'Goodbye, Sweetheart, Goodbye'

The bright stars fade, the morn is breaking,
The dewdrops pearl each bud and leaf,
And I from thee my leave am taking,
With bliss too brief, with bliss, with bliss too brief.
How sinks my heart with fond alarms,
The tear is hiding in mine eye,
For time doth tear me from thine arms,
Goodbye, sweetheart, goodbye,
Goodbye, sweetheart, goodbye,
For time doth tear me from thine arms,
Goodbye, sweetheart, goodbye.

The sun is up, the lark is soaring,
Loud swells the song of chanticleer,
Yet I am here, yet I, yet I am here.
For since night's gems from heav'n do fade,
And morn to floral lips doth hie,
I could not leave thee though I said
Goodbye, sweetheart, goodbye,
Goodbye, sweetheart, goodbye,
I could not leave thee though I said
Goodbye, sweetheart, goodbye


11.20 "When love absorbs. War! War! "
 11.459 "Love and War"
11.530, 551-52 "When love absorbs my ardent soul... my ardent soul / I care not foror the morrow"
11.532 "War! War! . . . You're the warrior" 

lyrics:

Lover (tenor):
When Love absorbs my ardent soul,
I think not of the morrow;
Beneath his sway years swiftly roll,
True lovers banish sorrow,
By softest kisses, warm'd to blisses,
Lovers banish sorrow,
By softest kisses, warm'd to blisses,
Lovers banish sorrow.

Soldier (bass):
While war absorbs my ardent soul,
I think not of the morrow;
Beneath his sway years swiftly roll,
True Soldiers banish sorrow,
By cannon's rattle, rous'd to battle,
Soldiers banish sorrow,
By cannon's rattle, rous'd to battle,
Soldiers banish sorrow.

Together:
Since Mars lov'd Venus, Venus Mars,
Let's blend love's wounds with battle's scars,
And call in Bacchus all divine,
To cure both pains with rosy wine,
To cure both pains with rosy, rosy wine.
And thus, beneath his social sway,
We'll sing and laugh the hours away.


11.24 "When first he saw. Alas!"
11.27 "Martha! Come!"
11.587, 594-95 "M' appari... M' appari cutt' amor... II mio sguardo l'incontr..."
11.665-751 "When first I saw... To me!"
11.802 "Thou lost one"
11.1187, 11.1210 "SimonIionel first I saw"
11.1253-54 "When first he saw that form endearing"

1906 Enrico Caruso
this piece was used in the movies 'Other Voices, Other Rooms' and 'The Grey Fox')

Simon sings substitute English lyrics by Charles Jeffreys:

When first I saw that form endearing
Sorrow from me seemed to depart:
Each graceful look, each word so cheering
Charmed my eye and won my heart.
Full of hope, and all delighted,
None could feel more blest than I;
All on Earth I then could wish for
Was near her to live and die:
But alas! 'twas idle dreaming,
And the dream too soon hath flown;
Not one ray of hope is gleaming;
I am lost, yes I am lost for she is gone.
When first I saw that form endearing
Sorrow from me seemed to depart:
Each graceful look, each word so cheering
Charmed my eye and won my heart.
Martha, Martha, I am sighing
I am weeping still, for thee,
Come thou lost one,
Come thou dear one,
Thou alone can'st comfort me:
Ah Martha return! Come to me!


11.21? "A sail! A veil awave upon the waves."
11.590 "A Last Farewell"
11.591 "A lovely girl, her veil awave upon the wind "


We weighed our anchor to our bow,
Likewise our maintop sail,
Away down the Firth and away we went,
With a soft and pleasant gale;
Away down the Firth and away we went,
For our decks had all been clear,
'Twas then I took the last farewell
Of the girl I loved so dear.


11.22 "Lost. Throstle fluted. All is lost now."
 11.629, 11.635 "All is lost now"
11.1242 "All is lost now"

in Bellini's Italian [qv] Tutto è Sciolto (a title Joyce used in Pomes Penyeach: qv)

All is lost now,
By all hope and joy am I forsaken.
Nevermore can love awaken
Past enchantment, no, nevermore.


 11.725 "Waiting"

lyrics:

The stars shine on his pathway,
The trees bend back their leaves
To guide him to the meadow
Among the golden sheaves
Where I stand longing, loving
And listening as I wait
To the nightingale's wild singing,
Sweet singing to its mate,
Singing, singing, sweet singing to its mate.

The breeze comes sweet from heaven,
And the music in the air
Heralds my lover's coming,
And tells me he is there,
Come for my arms are empty!
Come for the day was long!
Turn the darkness into glory,
The sorrow into song.
I hear his footfalls' music,
I feel his presence near.
All my soul responsive answers
And tells me he is here.

O stars-- shine out your brightest!
O night-- ingale, sing sweet
To guide-- him to me, waiting
And speed his flying feet,
To guide-- him to me, waiting
And speed his flying feet.

ZB cites these less-likely lyrics:

I look from my window upon the dull street,
The wind and the rain on the marketplace beat;
I sigh from my heart for my love tarries long,
With his sheep, and his goats, and his cattle so strong.
My love in the mountains I'm waiting for thee,
O that from this bondage my poor heart were free!

My love to the market his cattle will bring,
And then 'neath my window a song he will sing;
A song which will tell me the time has now come,
To go with my love to his wild mountain home.
I care not for guardian, nor sister, nor friend,
But by my love's side I my footsteps will wend.

11.727 "in old Madrid"

[GIF of music] lyric excerpts:

Long years ago, in old Madrid,
Where softly sighs of love the light guitar,
Two sparkling eyes a lattice hid,
Two eyes as darkly bright as love's own star!
There on the casement ledge, when day was o'er,
A tiny hand was lightly laid;
A face look'd out, as from the river shore,
There stole a tender serenade.
Rang the lover's happy song,
Light and low from shore to shore,
But ah, the river flowed along
Between them evermore,
Come my love, the stars are shining,
Time is flying, love is sighing,
Come, for thee a heart is pining,
Here alone I wait for thee.

Far, far away from old Madrid,
Her lover fell, long years ago, for Spain;
A convent veil those sweet eyes hid,
And all the vows that love had sigh'd were vain!
But still, between the dusk and night, 'tis said,
Her white hand opes the lattice wide,
The faint sweet echo of that serenade
Floats weirdly o'er the misty tide!



11.779-82 "'Twas rank and fame... since love lives not" 

from Balfe's 'Rose of Castile':

'Twas rank and fame that tempted thee,
'Twas empire charmed thy heart...
But love was wealth, the world to me,
Then, false one, let us part;
The prize I fondly deem'd my own,
Another's now may be;
For ah! with love, life's gladness flown,
Leaves grief to wed, to wed with me;
With love, life's gladness flown,
Leaves grief alone to me.

'Tho lowly bred, and humbly born,
No loftier heart than mine;
Unlov'd by thee my pride would scorn
To share the crown that's thine;
I sought no empire save the heart,
Which mine can never be;
Then false one, we had better part,
Since love lives not, lives not in thee,
Since love lives not in thee;
Yes! false one, better part,
Since love lives not in thee.

11.788 "We never speak"

lyric:

The spell is past, the dream is o'er,
And tho' we meet, we love no more,
One heart is crushed to droop and die,
And for relief must heavenward fly.
The once bright smile has faded, gone,
And given way to looks forlorn!
Despite her grandeur's wicked flame,
She stoops to blush beneath her shame.

[chorus] We never speak as we pass by,
Altho' a tear bedims her eye;
I know she thinks of her past life,
When we were loving man and wife.

In guileless youth I sought her side,
And she became my virtuous bride,
Our lot was peace, so fair so bright,
One summer day, no gloomy night,
No life on earth more pure than ours
In that dear home midst field and flowers
Until her tempter came to Nell,
It dazzled her, alas! she fell. [chorus]

In gilded hall, midst wealth she dwells,
How her heart aches, her sad face tells,
She fain would smile, seem bright and gay,
But conscience steals her peace away,
And when the flatt'rer cast aside,
My fallen and dishonored bride,
I'll close her eyes in death, forgive,
And in my heart her name shall live. [chorus]


11.39 "Deepsounding. Do, Ben, do."
11.40 "Wait while you wait. Hee hee. Wait while you hee."
11.42 "Low in dark middle earth. Embedded ore. Naminedamine. All gone. All fallen."
11.46 "Amen! He gnashed in fury."
11.51 "Pray for him! Pray, good people!"
 11.991 "The Croppy Boy"
11.992 "Good men and true"
11.1009 "The priest he sought... speak a word" 
 11.1016-17 "The priest's at home... The holy father"
 11.1020-22 "the youth had entered... sitting to shrive"
 11.1032-33 "In nominie Domini... confessing: mea culpa"
 11.1040-43 "Since easter he had... had not prayed"
 11.1063-65 "All gone. All fallen... name and race"
11.1068 "He bore no hat"
11.1072 "My country above the king"
11.1074 "Bless me, father...  let me go "

 11.1081-82 "The false priest... yeoman captain"
11.1097-99 "With hoarse rude fury... to live, your last"
11.1105-6 "On yonder river"
11.1120 "I hold this house... Traitors swing"
11.1131-32 "At Geneva barrack... was his body laid"
11.1139-41 "Pray for him... was the croppy boy"
11.1244 "nominedomine"
11.1248-49 "Breathe a prayer... a yeoman cap"

11.1273 "A youth entered a lonely Ormond hall"
lyric:

"Good men and true! in this house who dwell,
To a stranger bouchal I pray you tell
Is the priest at home? or may he be seen?
I would speak a word with Father Green."

"The Priest's at home, boy, and may be seen:
'Tis easy speaking with Father Green;
But you must wait, till I go and see
If the holy father alone may be."

The youth has entered an empty hall--
What a lonely sound has his light foot-fall!
And the gloomy chamber's still and bare,
With a vested Priest in a lonely chair.

The youth has knelt to tell his sins;
"Nomine Dei," the youth begins:
At "mea culpa" he beats his breast,
And in broken murmurs he speaks the rest.

"At the siege of Ross did my father fall,
And at Gorey my loving brothers all.
I alone am left of my name and race,
I will go to Wexford and take their place."

"I cursed three times since last Easter day--
At mass-time once I went to play:
I passed the churchyard one day in haste,
And forgot to pray for my mother's rest.

"I bear no hate against living thing;
But I love my country above my King.
Now, Father bless me, and let me go
To die in battle, if God has ordained it so."

The Priest said nought, but a rustling noise
Made the youth look above in wild surprise;
The robes were off, and in scarlet there
Sat a yeoman captain with fiery glare.

With fiery glare and with fury hoarse,
Instead of blessing, he breathed a curse:
"'Twas a good thought, boy, to come here and shrive,
For one short hour is your time to live."

"Upon yon river three tenders float,
The Priest's in one, if he isn't shot--
We hold this house for our Lord and King,
And, Amen! say I, may all traitors swing!"

At Geneva Barrack that young man died,
And at Passage they have his body laid.
Good people who live in peace and joy,
Breathe a prayer and a tear for the Croppy boy.



 11.32 "I feel so sad. P. S. So lonely blooming."
11.54 "Last rose Castile of summer left bloom I feel so sad alone."
11.1176 "The Last Rose of Summer"
11.1220-21 "one last, one lonely, last sardine of summer"

'Tis the last rose of summer,
Left blooming alone;
All her lovely companions
Are faded and gone;
No flower of her kindred,
No rosebud is nigh,
To reflect back her blushes,
Or give sigh for sigh.

I'll not leave thee, thou lone one!
To pine on the stem;
Since the lovely are sleeping,
Go, sleep thou with them.
Thus kindly I scatter,
Thy leaves o'er the bed,
Where thy mates of the garden
Lie scentless and dead.

So soon may I follow,
When friendships decay,
And from Love's shining circle
The gems drop away.
When true hearts lie withered,
And fond ones are flown,
Oh! who would inhabit
This bleak world alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment