Sunday, April 19, 2015

Page 724 (18.1282-1321) "Bailey wont you... greasy hair hanging"


editions: [1922] [html] [archv]
notes: [Th] [G&S] [Dent] [] [wbks] [rw] [images] [hyper]
Delaney: [0] Useen: [] [cp] maps: [other] [*]

<



Bailey wont you please come home
her widows weeds wont improve her appearance
theyre awfully becoming though if youre goodlooking
what men
wasnt he
yes he was at the Glencree dinner




and Ben Dollard base barreltone
the night he borrowed the swallowtail to sing out of
in Holles street
squeezed and squashed into them
and grinning all over his big Dolly face like a wellwhipped childs botty
didnt he look a balmy ballocks
sure enough that must have been a spectacle on the stage
imagine paying 5/- in the preserved seats for that
to see him trotting off in his trowlers




and Simon Dedalus too
he was always turning up half screwed
singing the second verse first
the old love is the new was one of his
so sweetly sang the maiden on the hawthorn bough




he was always on for flirtyfying too
when I sang Maritana with him at Freddy Mayers private opera
he had a delicious glorious voice
Phoebe dearest goodbye sweetheart
sweetheart he always sang it
not like Bartell dArcy sweet tart goodbye




of course he had the gift of the voice so there was no art in it
all over you like a warm showerbath
O Maritana wildwood flower
we sang splendidly
though it was a bit too high for my register even transposed
and he was married at the time to May Goulding
but then hed say or do something to knock the good out of it
hes a widower now




I wonder what sort is his son
he says hes an author and going to be a university professor of Italian
and Im to take lessons
what is he driving at now




showing him my photo
its not good of me
I ought to have got it taken in drapery
that never looks out of fashion
still I look young in it
I wonder he didnt make him a present of it altogether and me too
after all why not




I saw him driving down to the Kingsbridge station
with his father and mother
I was in mourning
thats 11 years ago now
yes hed be 11
though what was the good in going into mourning
for what was neither one thing nor the other




the first cry was enough for me
I heard the deathwatch too ticking in the wall
of course he insisted
hed go into mourning for the cat




I suppose
hes a man now by this time
he was an innocent boy then
and a darling little fellow in his lord Fauntleroy suit
and curly hair like a prince on the stage
when I saw him at Mat Dillons
he liked me too I remember
they all do




wait by God yes wait yes hold on
he was on the cards this morning when I laid out the deck
union with a young stranger neither dark nor fair you met before
I thought it meant him but hes no chicken nor a stranger either
besides my face was turned the other way
what was the 7th card after that
the 10 of spades for a Journey by land
then there was a letter on its way
and scandals too
the 3 queens and the 8 of diamonds for a rise in society
yes wait it all came out and 2 red 8s for new garments
look at that




and didnt I dream something too
yes there was something about poetry in it
I hope he hasnt long greasy hair hanging






>

mysteries:


[DD]
[IM]
[LV1]
[LV2]


penelope: 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 642 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732


No comments:

Post a Comment